1 cup blanched and halved almonds
3-4 tablespoons light olive oil
¾ cup light olive oil (or vegetable oil)
2 cups semolina
FOR THE SYRUP:
1 ¾ cup sugar
4 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
2-6 tablespoons rose water
- In a medium non-stick pan, heat the 3-4 tablespoons of oil and gently fry the almonds till golden brown.
- Remove almonds from pan and place on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Place all the syrup ingredients together in a saucepan and place over the heat.
- Bring the syrup to the boil and then remove it from the heat.
Add the rose water – as much or as little as you like.
- In the medium non-stick pan you used earlier, heat the ¾ cup oil gently and add the semolina.
Stir constantly until lightly brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly and carefully, add the boiling syrup to the semolina.
Put the semolina mixture back on low heat and fold in the almonds.
Stir constantly until all the syrup is absorbed and the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Place Halva into a mould or individual moulds and allow to cool. Once cooled turn out on a serving dish.
- Cut into pieces and serve. Can serve on its own or serve with a berry coulis.