Summer Haloumi Salad
6 ripe tomatoes – various
1 punnet of mixed cherry tomatoes
2 packets of Haloumi cheese – I use Pittas brand
pomegranate molasses or syrup
a good handful of baby rocket
½ bunch of fresh mint
1 bunch of fresh parsley (or basil)
- Place the rocket in your serving bowl.
- Cut washed tomatoes in various ways and place in the bowl, over the rocket. Gently stir – we want the tomatoes to stay in one piece.
- Drizzle with olive oil and pomegranate molasses – allow flavours to emulsify. Set aside.
- Finely chop fresh mint and parsley and place in a small bowl. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper. Add olive oil – I’m generous with my olive oil. The amount of oil depends on you.
- Stir the herbs with dressing and set aside.
- Cut the haloumi in slices, approximately 1cm thickness.
- In a non stick frying pan add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and allow to heat.
- Add you haloumi slices and let them cook for approximately 1-2 minutes till it is caramelized. Turn and cook on the other side as well.
- Place haloumi on top of the tomatoes.
- Drizzle with herb dressing.
Enjoy salad as is, or with some warm pitta bread.
Alternatively can be served as a side with some chargrilled prawns, octopus or lamb cutlets.